Saturday, October 23, 2010

Parenting with Love and Logic

You know what I love most about MOPS? The fact that every Mom in the room is different. She potty trains differently. Some Moms use cloth diapers and some Moms use disposable ones. Some Moms parent differently. I thoroughly enjoyed Elyssa from Love and Logic. As in anything, you take parts of what she said here and apply it there. Maybe some of the things don't work for your family, so you don't use them. I highlighted some key points that make sense no matter how you discipline your kids.

1. " I recognize this world. We practiced for it at home." My kids are 6, 5, 4, and 3. So this made so much sense to me. Sometimes I try and fail at getting them to do things my way and I really need to focus on letting them learn with my guidance. Mom drill sergeant is not working so far.

2. "Let them make mistakes at a young age, so they don't make them when they are older with harder consequences."

3. "The most powerful words are the unstated words." I find myself re-hashing the trouble my kids just caused. Telling them one time is enough and letting them learn from it.

4. Write a vision statement as a family. I have to admit that when my kids were really small, this vision statement was not a high priority on my list of to dos. I was barely keeping my head above water just providing the basic needs of my four little girls. I snapped my fingers and they grew up fast. I wish I would of thought of this when they were smaller but we can still do it now and they can be a part of writing it!

5. Schedule Mommy time where YOU come first!!!!! Having small children is wonderful and rewarding but sometimes taking care of them 24/7 can be overwhelming! If you don't have a hobby, ask some Mops Moms' what they do and ask if they can show you how. Keep trying until you find something that clicks. Reading, sewing, photography, or baking. We have Moms that sew that would love to show you how. We have Moms that scrapbook. Never underestimate the power of a hot bath at the end of a long day with kids!

If you liked Love and Logic here are a few links for you. To purchase the book on Amazon CLICK HERE! It's only $12.95.

Elyssa's phone number if you are interested in taking a parenting class. They do have childcare if needed. Her number is 710-0236. And she is on facebook HERE.


No comments:

Post a Comment